The York Benevolent Association is the oldest charitable organization in York County. It was formed in 1863 to provide aid for widows and orphans of Civil War soldiers. The numbers grew to include others in need of help, and the Association began to work in quiet efficiency to address those needs. It continues to do so today.
The original charter was drafted in 1874. Formal incorporation in 1893 specified as its purpose the provision of food, clothing, shoes and fuel. This purpose remains constant today; service has never stopped.
The Board of Managers has maintained a vigorous, hands-on involvement and believes that money given should be spent directly for the purpose intended — to feed and help the poor. This complete independence has been a major factor in the Association’s success.
There will always be those in need. “The Benevolent” continues its pledge to respond quickly, skillfully, and with caring.